Challenges and the issues raised by the modern age are unprecedented in its nature and scope for the Muslims in particular and for the humanity at large as well. In this situation how should Muslims respond and what role can they play. For this purpose Islamic Research Institute provides a unique platform of research where Muslims can find solution to these challenges of the modern age while keeping the Islamic traditional legacy as its guiding principle.
Objectives of the Department
- To organize seminars, conferences, lectures and talks on contemporary issues.
- To contribute in research on various contemporary issues.
- To facilitate publication of books, monographs, articles and occasional papers on contemporary issues.
The Department of Contemporary Muslim Ummah, (IRI) is responsible for research on various contemporary challenges and problems faced by the Muslim Ummah. This department has coordinated a large number of publications that have been published by IRI from its inception. The department is also responsible for organizing conferences and seminars on themes related to modern issues. It has also organized various lectures on such themes.
The department is also responsible to help the journals of IRI in the process of evaluation of research articles that are written on the topics related to contemporary issues.
The list of the conferences and seminars arranged by the Department of Contemporary Muslim Ummah is as follows:
The list of books published by the department is as follows:
- Muslim Understanding of Other Religions: A Study of Ibn Hazm’s Kitab al-Fasl fi al-Milal wa al-Ahwa’ wa al-Nihal / Ghulam Haider Aasi
- Muslims and the West: Encounter and Dialogue / edited by Zafar Ishaq Ansari and John Esposito
- Rethinking Global Terrorism / edited by Nedzad Basic and Anwar Hussain Siddiqui
- Peaceful Co-Existence with Non-Muslims; Its Rules and Impact / Dr. Ahmad bin Yousif A. Al-Draiweesh
- Modern Reformist Thought in The Muslim World / Mazheruddin Siddiqi
- The Muslim World Today / Amjad Ali
- The Hijra: The Necessity of its Iqamat / Dr. Ismail R. Al-Faruqi
- Knowledge for What? :Proceedings and Papers of the Seminar on Islamization of Knowledge
The department has following facilities for its various activities relating to research on contemporary issues:
- As research centre, the department has huge data base resource centre in the shape of books, articles and other material which are related to various dimensions of contemporary issues.
- In Dr. Muhammad Hamidullah Library scholars from all around Pakistan can utilize these resources.
Event Organizing Facilities
The department can utilize various facilities for the event management that are available at Islamic Research Institute (IRI) and IIUI, such as Quaid-e-Azam Auditorium, Allama Iqbal Auditorium, Dr. Muhammad Hamidullah Library, IRI Seminar Room and IRI Press Faisal Masjid Campus, Islamabad.
Department of Contemporary Muslim Ummah
Islamic Research Institute
International Islamic University
Faisal Masjid Campus, P. O. Box 1035
Phone No.:051-9261761 Ext.: 320